Tuesday 12 April 2011

Umbraco login problem - Missing style


I recently ran into a problem when I had to update an Umbraco site that was running fine on a 2008 Server.
To be on the safe side, I took a local copy and set it up on my PC (which runs Vista).

When I tried to run the site, it would work, but none of the images or style sheets would load.  I’ve had similar problems in the past so I thought I would just log into the CMS and republish the site. When I tried this, the welcome page would not display properly either and I could not log in:



After ruling out a problem with permissions or the Client Dependancy cache I checked the request console in firebug. Every css, js and image file being requested was returning a “500 internal server error”.

Basically every request that was not for a .net page was getting a configuration error, so I checked the web.config for anything out of place. After a bit of trial and error I found removing this section fixed it:



 

The site had been setup in Windows Server 2008 and a new mime-type had been added in IIS.

This shouldn’t be a problem viewing the site on Vista as they should both be using the same version of IIS. Also, the file extension had not already been added as a global mime type.

I’m not sure if this is a problem specific to Umbraco sites running on Vista. I’ll have to try and test on a blank site to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment